Widespread Fires Engulf Washington, DC Amid Chaotic George Floyd Protests
June 1, 2020 5:25 am
Tags: Crime and Incidents, fires, George Floyd, protests, Social Issues, US, US News, Washington, Washington D.C.
Categories: Crime and Incidents Epoch Times fires George Floyd JoshWho News protests Social Issues US US News Washington Washington D.C.
On Sunday evening, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced on Twitter that she was imposing a citywide curfew from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. on Monday in an effort to stem the violent clashes and rioting. The mayor in her tweet also said she was activating the D.C. National Guard to support the Metropolitan Police Department.
However, just hours before the curfew was set to start, peaceful protests escalated into tense standoffs with police, with many flocking to Lafayette Square, just steps from the White House. Numerous photos and video footage circulating online show police firing rubber bullets, tear gas, and pepper spray in an effort to disperse large crowds of protesters there and on surrounding streets.
D.C. police said Sunday night that they were responding to “multiple fires intentionally set” around the city, including one reported at St. John’s Episcopal Church on H Street NW, a historic landmark located just across the street from the White House. Officials warned people to avoid the area. The fire has since been extinguished.
Police told USA Today that two Target stores in the Lafayette area had been broken into. The publication reported that an American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) building was also set on fire and vandalized, with protesters smashing the windows of the building.
Democratic strategist and consultant Adam Parkhomenko tweeted that it “looks like a war zone outside the White House,” along with a short video showing fire and thick smoke behind graffiti-covered cement barriers. Numerous businesses downtown had boarded up doors and windows in the area in anticipation of a night of looting.
According to The New York Times, Secret Service agents also rushed President Trump to a Presidential Emergency Operations Center, known as the White House bunker, on Friday night, amid the escalating violence outside. The Epoch Times has been unable to verify this.
Trump tweeted Sunday that, “80% of the RIOTERS in Minneapolis last night were from OUT OF STATE,” and said they were “harming businesses (especially African American small businesses), homes, and the community of good, hardworking Minneapolis residents who want peace, equality, and to provide for their families.”
The president said much of the chaos throughout the United States was being steered by “ANTIFA led anarchists, among others,” and announced his administration would be designating Antifa as a terrorist organization.
Widespread protests have broken out across the United States in recent days following the death of Floyd, a 46-year-old black man whom police sought to arrest outside a south Minneapolis grocery store on Memorial Day for alleged fraud.
A citizen’s cellphone video showed an officer—who has since been identified as 44-year-old Derek Chauvin—kneeling on Floyd’s neck for almost 9 minutes as Floyd repeatedly said he couldn’t breathe and begged officers not to kill him. He eventually became unresponsive, with one witness noting that his nose was bleeding. The footage spread quickly on social media.
Floyd, a father of two, was pronounced dead May 25 after he was taken into custody by authorities, and on May 26 all four officers involved in Floyd’s arrest—Chauvin, Thomas Lane, Tou Thao, and J. Alexander Kueng—were fired from the Minneapolis Police Department, according to a news release issued by the Minneapolis Department of Public Safety.
Chauvin has been arrested and charged with third-degree murder and is expected to appear at the Hennepin County Court on Monday.
Trending last 24 hours
- [VIDEO] Here’s How Joe Biden Just Introduced Himself: “I’m Joe Biden’s Husband…Joe Biden” In what can only be described as the cherry on the top of his Alzheimer’s... 163 views | 1 comment
- [VIDEO] BLM Mob Once Again Swarms St Louis Couple’s Home…Harassment’s So Bad They Boarded Up Their Home Protesting a politician or a celebrity or some other public person who has... 88 views | 0 comments
- Germany Uncovers Massive Pedophile Ring With 30,000 Members The German state of North Rhine Westphalia has uncovered an e... 46 views | 0 comments
- Car Hits Protesters Who Blocked Highway With Vehicles in Seattle A driver is in custody after hitting two female protesters after a group i... 32 views | 0 comments
- Protesters Block Road Leading to Mount Rushmore Independence Day Celebration with Disabled Vehicles Protesters have reportedly blocked the main road leading to Friday night’s... 28 views | 0 comments
- Crowd Cheers as Tow Trucks Remove Disabled Vans Blocking Road to Mount Rushmore (VIDEO) Anarchists and leftists on Friday disabled vans and blocked the road to Pr... 24 views | 0 comments
- Live: Trump Independence Day celebration at Mount Rushmore Trump to kick off Independence Day weekend at Mt. Rushmore amid anti-... 23 views | 0 comments
- National Guard Makes Arrests, Prepares to Teargas Anarchists Blocking Road to Mount Rushmore (VIDEOS) Anarchists and leftists on Friday disabled vans and blocked the road to Pr... 20 views | 0 comments
- ***Live Updates*** Trump Holds Mount Rushmore Independence Day Celebration President Donald Trump will hold an Independence Day celebration... 17 views | 0 comments
- Miami-Dade Officer Who Struck Woman at Airport Will Be Terminated, Officials Say Termination proceedings have been initiated against a Miami-Dade police of... 16 views | 0 comments
Trending This Week
- Justice Kavanaugh Delivered George Soros a Huge SCOTUS Defeat Yesterday The SCOTUS issued a huge ruling today against George S... 2,711 views | 0 comments
- Catholic Man to Press Charges After Black Lives Matter Mob Beat Him at St. Louis Statue while PRAYING FOR PEACE (VIDEO) Last week the Gateway Pundit announced a prayer ral... 1,749 views | 0 comments
- [VIDEO] Dr. Fauci Removes His Mask the Moment Cameras Stop Rolling I often wonder, if masks are so important to wear, wh... 1,417 views | 3 comments
- [VIDEO] Harvard Girl Who Threatened to Stab Anyone Saying “All Lives Matter” Was Just Fired and She Blames Trump Supporters Well, it’s official…You can be a full-blown idiot and... 1,002 views | 7 comments
- Supreme Court Rules Foreign Soros-Backed Operatives Have NO RIGHTS Under US Constitution The Supreme Court ruled against George S... 989 views | 1 comment
- HORROR! Far Left Mob Beat Christian Man WITH A STICK at St. Louis Statue After Prayer Service — THREE MEN BEATEN (VIDEO) Last week the Gateway Pundit announced a prayer ral... 740 views | 0 comments
- Latino YouTuber Posts Disturbing Video Saying “We Need To Kill White People” Warning, this video is truly disturbing. A Latin... 727 views | 5 comments
- In Memory Of Betsy Rothstein Betsy Rothstein passed away Sunday among family follow... 607 views | 0 comments
- Pregnant White Woman Falsely Accused of Racism Defends Herself with Firearm After Being Assaulted, Threatened by Black Woman (VIDEO) Lake Orion, Michigan – A white couple leaving a... 585 views | 3 comments
- On Saturday Christians, Priests and Families Met to Pray at the St. Louis Statue in Forest Park – This Is How We Were Received (VIDEO) Last week the Gateway Pundit announced a prayer rally o... 558 views | 0 comments